Welcome to the Major Missile/Missile Defense Program Section on AeroWeb.
This section covers DoD Spending on major missile/munitions systems from FY 2011 to FY 2013 (starting October 1, 2012).
Below, you find a database of 33 DoD missiles, munitions, and missile defense programs, including air-air missiles, air-surface/surface-air missiles, BMD systems and missiles, anti-armor weapons, and bombs.
For each program, you can access information about total DoD spending on that program in FY11, FY12, and FY13 as well as procurement spending, research expenditures, and the number of missiles/rockets/bombs purchased.
Our data tells you exactly how much was spent on each program, e.g. RDT&E expenses for AEGIS Ballistic Missile Defense (BMD) Systems, # of PAC-3 Patriot missiles purchased etc. By clicking on a program below, you access that system's profile - giving you access to general information about the missile/weapon system (specs, available aircraft platforms, mission/role etc.) and DoD budget data downloads for each program (so you can see the official spending documentation to verify the accuracy of our data and access even more info).
Note that our data may not in all instances match the numbers in the official DoD Major Acquisition Program Data Book, mainly due to the fact that we also include spending on modifications (to provide a more accurate view of how much is spent on each system). Therefore, we are convinced that the data provided below is more extensive, more accurate and more detailed than what is published by the DoD.
In Fiscal Year (FY) 2013 (October 1, 2012 - September 30, 2013), the AEGIS BMD program is the DoD missile program that receives the most funding ($1.38 billion) closely followed by the Trident II Modernization Program ($1.33 billion). Only 28% of total funds for the AEGIS BMD system is actually spent on procurement, with the remaining 72% or $990 million being used on Research, Development, Test & evaluation (RDT&E) activities.
Other top missile/munitions programs include the PAC-3 Patriot, the Ground Based Midcourse Defense system,
THAAD, Standard Missile SM-3, BMD AN/TPY-2 Radars, Standard Missile SM-6, AIM-120 AMRAAM, and the GMLRS.
In FY2013, the DoD decided to restructure the Joint Air-to-Ground Missile (JAGM) program, which will only be allocated $10 million in FY2013 vs. $235 million in FY2012.
Note: Click on a program to view full profile
|Change in Spending FY2012-FY2013:||Missiles (Total)||Procurement||RDT&E||Missile Exp. FY2013||Missile Exp. FY2012|
|-4.28%||-8.97%||+4.89%||$9.58 billion||$10.53 billion|
AEGIS BMD + SM-3 Block IA/IB
Trident II D5
Standard Missile SM-3 R&D
Ground-based Midcourse Def. (GMD)
AN/TPY-2 Radars (THAAD)
Standard Missile SM-6
Small Diameter Bomb (SDB)
General Purpose Bombs
Next Generation AEGIS Missile
AGM-114 Hellfire Missile
AGM-154 Joint Standoff Weapon
JAVELIN Advanced Anti-Tank
LGM-30 Minuteman III
RIM-116 Rolling Airframe Missile
RIM-162 Evolved Sea Sparrow Missile
|Rank||Missile/Program Name||Missile Type||User(s)|
|FY 2013||FY 2012||FY 2011|
PROC* = Procurement in % of total FY2013 DoD spending on the program
RDT&E* = Research Expenditures in % of total FY2013 DoD spending on the program
AEGIS BMD | FY13: $1.38 billion
Trident II | FY13: $1.33 billion
Patriot PAC-3 | FY13: $0.96 billion